Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lessons in Flower-beds

April weather has been wonky! On April 1 I took my daughter to the flower shop to choose new flowers for our flower bed. It was 70 degrees and sunny. Then on April 2 we got LOTS of rain and today it is still raining.



Aren't these flowers gorgeous? I knew not to plant them with rain coming. See why? The flower bed is a pool of water. I need to add soil up to the drain level before planting them. My hubby might get me some DIRT for my birthday next week. ;-)

Working in my flower bed is a special time for me. I do not use garden gloves. I dig in, bare hands, and feel the cold moist soil under my nails. I connect with something deep inside me. It quiets me and makes me reflect.

I've always said that friendships (even blog connections) are like flowers. They are all different. They are different colors and fragrances, and they bloom at different times. Perennials come back every year with deeper roots and more blooms each season. Annuals are temporary. Some flowers get diseased and ugly so they have to be taken out.

This is what I've done to my bed this year. I uprooted some plants that had gotten scraggly so I could start fresh. I tried to help them but they were just too far gone. This leaves me with a clean slate, except for the faithful perennials that stay.

Yes, life lessons in my flower bed for sure; and I must remember that the sun always comes out after the rain.


18 comments:

Deanna said...

Hi Parsley. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I see you on Iggy's all the time. Any friend of his is a friend of mine. I hope to see more of you.

I've been holding out on the flowers and vegetable planting too. We were still battling snow only a week and a half ago. I love perennials. They are so loyal and come back year after year.

Intense Guy said...

Those flowers are lovely - they will reflect their owner :)

I hope they thrive in the "birthday dirt"! LOL! Sounds odd - but it is actually a "good gift". :)

Primitive Stars said...

Oh No!!!!! how sad, not a good thing.......Still freezing here, have not even thought of buying flowers yet, but would like too........Blessings Francine.

Vickie said...

Hey Parsley. Very reflective. I had to weed out a friend a few months back. It hurts. With time, I can see it was the right thing to do.
I love to garden. My body isn't allowing me to so much anymore. I have been cutting back every year. I am learning to love my perennials.

cucki said...

Sweet x

Anonymous said...

What fabulous looking blooms you picked up! Looking forward to seeing your flower box filled with your pretties.

Robin in Virginia

stellaroselong said...

Its still to cold here for us to even start to visit the greenhouses, mom is waiting tho to work in the yard, she said it is her therapy also!
stella rose and mags

Jackie said...

Like you, I enjoy getting the dirt right on my hands and fingers; I don't use garden gloves either. The feel and smell of fresh soil is half the fun of gardening to me.
Enjoy spring...sounds like you are.
May all your blossoms be lovely and fragrant.
Love,
Jackie

MadSnapper n Beau said...

thanks for stopping by Jake's day, and i love the idea of dirt for your birthday. that is what we do, bob got a garage door opener i got a ceiling fan

Denise said...

Really gorgeous flowers.

Annette-California said...

Beautiful plants. I too got some new plants and worked in my garden. I planted some veggies too. You will get to plant your new blooms soon. love Annette

Unknown said...

Parsley you crack us up. Hubby getting you dirt for your birthday LOL! Here it is so cold and the wind is awful. We have no sign of Spring weather at all. We can't plant anything yet and at this rate it will be a disaster like last year. Sigh. Hope you got my email in last post.
Have a wonderful Wednesday.
Best wishes Molly

Two French Bulldogs said...

We can't wait to see the flowers all grown in, pretty
Benny & Lily

Robin said...

I know we should wear gloves when working in the garden but then you miss the feeling of the hands in the dirt. Oh and the hands that will be stained with dirt all summer! I did the same with my garden last weekend and it felt so good to be outside with my hands in the soil. No plants for me yet but they are coming. Good luck and happy birthday. Hope you get your dirt!

Carol said...

Such pretty flowers and an enjoyable piece to read... The friends/flowers analogy is so true!

Hope your rain quits soon and you get that dirt for your birthday present (that sounds so funny, but, if you're like me--that would make you really happy!). We had another record low this morning--20 degrees!! Can it really be April 4th?

Fairfield House said...

Parsley,
I am a long time gardener {farmer} and know as the garden grows so does the gardener.
Your Friend,
Deborah

Anne said...

Those flowers are beautiful and will look so cheery in your flower bed...once you get some dirt for your birthday! That's so cute! Happy Birthday!!

Hugs

Annesphamily said...

Oh Goodness! Happy Birthday to You! Hope your special day is perfect and you have all the dirt you need for your gardening projects!