Friday, November 2, 2012

Aftermath of Sandy and Prep

I am quite concerned for my friends on the East coast. Some I have not heard from so I assume they are without power. I hope they are safe.

This disaster brings emergency preparedness to my mind. Some people scoff and make fun of 'doomsday' preppers because they seem extreme and radical. I suggest we don't make fun of them but instead, learn from them and find a middle ground for our own possible needs.

Some things like Sandy are so devastating that you cannot adequately prepare but we can try to prepare minimally for lesser events. Our area is known for winter ice power outages and since we are in a rural area, we must plan for the worst, expecting the best.

Consider storing a few bottles of drinking/cooking water. If you know you might be without water because the city's electric pumps can't pump it to homes (yes this happened), consider filling the tub with water for flushing toilets.

Nothing wrong with buying extra canned food and pasta. Keep a hand operated can opener around. You can use canned goods eventually even if disaster doesn't strike. Don't forget extra pet food.

Purchase candles, a gas stove, lighters, batteries and so on. If you have a generator, make sure you have fuel. If you don't have one, consider getting one.

Get paper plates, so you don't have to wash dishes in limited water. Hand gel/germ killer, extra toilet paper, and prescription medications should be in stock.

Finally, consider your neighbors and their NOT being prepared. When they come knocking at your door for help, you can share in kindness. And...if they had scoffed at your prep work, give them a cup of beans with a smile.

Post Script: Another thought is to keep a 5 gal bucket with a lid full of survival supplies. If needed, take out your supplies and use the bucket for a make shift toilet.

20 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Excellent post. We never know when that rice and beans and bottled water will become not just handy, but necessary. Any time one stocks up on items that will eventually get used anyway, it's smart, in my opinion. If nothing else, it's a hedge against inflation!

Chatty Crone said...

I hope and pray your friends are safe and hope you hear from them soon. sandie

stellaroselong said...

Well we are worried about the folks and pets on the east coast also...we said extra paw prayers for them last night!!
We are not prepared for anything at our house parsley espcially mom flying the coop! Our food bowls are not being washed properly, our sheets are changed daily, no green beans and the list goes on and on...mom is never allowed out of this house after she gets home!
stella rose

How Sam Sees It said...

All good tips. I think I tend to be more prepared for the dogs, and not us. You never know what will happen.

Sam

Unknown said...

We too have peeps we have not heard from and we are just hoping it is because they have no electrics. Our paws are crossed for all those on the East Coast. Have a fabulous Friday.
Best wishes Molly

Anne said...

I've been praying for those who lost their homes and hope that the power comes on for those who are without. After seeing the devastation on the news, my husband and I made an earthquake kit...since we live on the west coast. There have been two earthquakes off the Haida Gwaii (up north but in BC) and so we need to be prepared for an earthquake which could happen here in Vancouver. Luckily, we just went camping in the summer (on our bikes) so we have all of those supplies to survive on just in case. Good thinking on the extra pet food! We forgot to pack our cat's food!!

Anonymous said...

Such good tips. We were prepared for this storm, but you never know how long you will be without. Have a great Friday.

Jeanne said...

I agree Parsley. I feel awful for all the people suffering from Sandy but a few stories had me shaking my head on how some people are so ill-prepared. There was a story on the day after the storm about some woman not having milk for baby or something - I mean geez it hadn't even been 24 hrs and you were already out? We live in an area of the country where not much happens weather-wise but we still have extra provisions around, a couple 5-gallon jugs of water stored, first-aid kits and a 'survival kit' of several other emergency supplies on hand. It's not only natural disasters but these days you have terrorism as well and you never know when you might have to up and leave your home suddenly.

Melody said...

That is great advice, Parsley!! My friends poke fun at me for having an entire pantry closet full of canned goods, but they won't be laughing if they have to come share in my 30 cans of tomato soup, will they?? LOL I think Sandy has shown us all that we can never be TOO prepared. We would be doing ourselves a favor to try and be as self-sufficient as possible after such a disaster. Prayers continue for the East Coast, and especially for your friends that have been affected :)

Joy said...

I saw the coolest picture on Facebook of someone who had power and left out a power strip for people to charge their cell phones.

Kim said...

I always prepare for the worst. Almost always it is unnecessary but that one time you roll the dice and don't is the time you will get caught. After dealing with the blizzard of 2004 - snow up to our armpits, no power or heat in February - I prepare!

Sweet Tea said...

I totally agree with you. I try to keep a small stash of "emergency food" then rotate it as necessary. I a, running a little low right now and need to restock. Sure hope your friends are alright!

Beth said...

Excellent advice!

Primitive Stars said...

Hi Parsley....yes....never hurts to be prepared for sure.....We also have bad winter storms so we are always ready with supplies....never know......Blessings Francine.

Bernadett said...

I hope your friends are all right!

betty said...

Hoping you hear from your friends soon! Whenever we have an earthquake here of any magnitude the news people are always reminding people for their emergency preparedness and what is needed. Happy to say my husband is really on top of everything with what we need so we are covered. What I did think to consider and put it with our list of supplies is to make sure Koda had his own flat of water. We could drink juices, teas, etc., but all he can drink is water so we make sure there is an adequate supply for him too!

betty

Anonymous said...

I am worried about friends there too... I really pray hard for them.

PeggyR said...

Great advice. Though I have most of it, I've only had partial power since early Tuesday morning here in Independence, OH. No damage, but thank God my neighbor came and rerouted the furnace, sump pump and microwave for me. I have extension cords running from other places. No damage thank goodness.

Annesphamily said...

Amen! This is great advice. Deborah and Thomas of Fairfield House in New Jersey are both safe. He stayed and hunkered down she went home. She went directly into the storm, but all is well. Their b/b received some for the blessing! Pat at Mille Favorita is a Brooklyn native. She is helping out at a local shelter. The stories she hears are touching. Lots of folks without power but those who lost their lives and those left behind make me so sad. I pray for strength in this troubled time. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Caitlin @ Naughts Cross Stitches said...

Just don't do what a couple of people were doing here which was buying up on fresh bread and milk not the long life and flour. it was the weirdest thing to see.