Monday, January 7, 2013

Hobby Lobby Appreciation Day


One of my frequent stops when I shop in 'the city' is Hobby Lobby. It's a crafting and home decor store with a little of everything to tickle a creative spirit. The closest is over an hour away but it helps me in a pinch if I need some basic cross stitch items.

The company is in the news because it's owners believe their Christian faith says they should not pay for abortion inducing drugs through the health-care mandate. (Their faith also leads them to close business on Sundays to honor their Sabbath.)

They still supply health care to qualified employees including birth control but their request to be exempt from paying for the 'morning after pill' has been denied. They now face a $1.3 million per day fine.

I appreciate Hobby Lobby for taking a stand for their faith and for their company in general. I joined others in 'Hobby Lobby' appreciation day by getting some items. Extra threads for stitching Santa's Village, a project holder, and material for DOG themed curtains.


“A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.” Gerald Ford



21 comments:

cucki said...

Sweet stash,,enjoy your day dear x

Vickie said...

I love Hobby Lobby. We do not have one near us. I love the values and the items for sale.

Furry Bottoms said...

Interesting... I've only been to one hobby lobby, and I wasn't thrilled with it. I also didn't get to go through the entire store, so I didn't see everything. I need to make a trip there!

Respect for them for standing up to what they believe in. I want to seee what you do with this stash!

Beth said...

I used to shop Hobby Lobby when I shopped in Champaign. They do have some of everything.

Unknown said...

We don't know them over here. We don't have these issues here either as with national health you get what you want and it is each to their own. We pay through our tax and then it is all free. Have a marvelous Monday now.
Best wishes Molly

Anonymous said...

Nice looking stash especially the dog print fabric! And they should be respected for their beliefs and values.

Robin in Virginia

Amy said...

I am a frequent Hobby Lobby shopper as well as Mardel. It is a store owned by the same owner. It is a Christian bookstore. I get lots of homeschool stuff there.

We need to stand for what we believe in.

Melody said...

We also frequent our 'local' Hobby Lobby as much as we can...and my desire is to do so more, as I also recently read about the situation you referred to. DH and I stand behind Hobby Lobby 100%!! Congrats on your new stash :)

Ginny Hartzler said...

I really wish we had one around here!

Christine said...

I wish we had been able to visit a Hobby Lobby when we were in the States, especially since I now know that they take a stand for Christian standards I value too.

Unknown said...

I didn't realize today was the day for this. I running out right now to go get some things I've been needing at my local Hobby Lobby. Thanks for the post! God Bless Hobby Lobby for standing up for what they believe.

Tracy said...

I wish their was a Hobby Lobby near me. I would shop there for sure!

Denise said...

I really like hobby lobby.

Nicola said...

You have such a wonderful choice of stores in the USA.

Maggee said...

No Hobby Lobby near me. The closest is about two hours away. But I knew they were a Christian organization. Their website had something about it, when I was searching for a Christmas tree. Hugs!

EvalinaMaria said...

Love the fabric for the doggie curtains!

coffeedog said...

i never heard of hobby lobby before and now they are building one walking distance from my home! maybe having one so close to home will help to motivate me to pick up my crochet hooks again.

Valma said...

Just as Nicola said, you have have such a great choice of stores in the US !
enjoy your new stash, can't wait to see what you'll do =)
xxx

Fairfield House said...

Parsley,
We just got a hobby lobby in the town we shop in! I support and respect them for standing up for their beliefs. {Chick-fil-A too}
Funny how the same government that wants to strip us of guns {using the tragedy of the children killed in CT to gain support} is forcing employers to offer abortion inducing drugs or face fines.
Your Friend,
Deborah
FairfieldHouseNJ.com

Fairfield House said...

PS Re: Molly the Wally comment; "We pay through our tax and then it is all free."

NOTHING is free.

Intense Guy said...

What kills me is that the money the government collects on the fines is simply wasted on incredibly stupid things...