Monday, April 15, 2013
Dog Grass Allergy
Molly, our Labradoodle, gets this sore on her ankle every spring, once grass starts turning green. She licks it over and over. She gets itchy elsewhere too.
In the past I put her on Steroids to help her but I decided doing that long term would create its own health problems. She is on grain free food and I give her Benedryl as needed.
What do you do for your dog's allergies?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
We are pretty lucky here at our house with allergy problems, mom feeds us grain free food and that helps...
stella rose
My parents had a dog that had the same problem. Nothing much seemed to work - the poor dog got stressed out by it too.
I'll ask them if they ever found any magic cure.
We are OK with allergies but we are sick again. We went to the vets yesterday and have anti-sickness and antibiotic shots. Peeps is not happy as this bug keeps coming back. Have a marvelous Monday.
Best wishes Molly
Sending Molly healing paw.
We have a Chihuahua that has trouble breathing at times. We just limit his time outside. Your poor baby. I hope Iggy's parents found a solution he can share.
Deanna
Steroids and Benadryl. Freddy is allergic to just about everything.
Cinderella gets Benadryl every morning and night to help with her allergies.
Oh, that looks like it hurts! We use a bit of Benedryl too. Our doc said half a pill twice a day.
can you wrap it up with a cast like bandage? to stop her from licking it?
Hello Parsley
Poor Molly, that looks very sore.
Sorry I can't help.
Have a good week.
Bye!
I have had many dogs with allergies. I do benedryl, Limit time outside especially in the grass and especially when it is fresh cut. Lots of baths in oatmeal soap and steroids when all else fails. Good luck I am off to get a urine sample from a 5 pound dog with a failing liver. But we love them don't we???
Hugs
Rose
The ONLY thing that helps my Lily is Atopica prescribed by her dermotogist, grain free food. Benadryl doesn't work so good. Lily is allergic to all grasses. Hope you feel better
Benny & Lily
We use a human drug too: piriton: I am guessing it is similar to your benedryl. Have you tried putting vaseline over it so the skin doesnt come into contact with the grass?
My dogs are allergic also (funny, since their ancestors roam the forests). I have an antihistamine for her. I think it is just vet benadryl. She really chews at the pads of her feet, but I let he hair on her paws grow long, maybe the extra hair will be a buffer? I don't know. I am glad you brought this up so that I can see others' ideas too! Hope your puppy's sore gets better. It is hard to get them not to lick. Especially at night. When you are trying to sleep. Bleck.
Hugs and blessings, friend!
Heather
Praying for Molly.
Our 2 chihuahuas have allergy problems--Nellie Belle once in a while and Opi frequently and bad. Benadryl was no more effective than water when we used it. We're doing different foods trying to find one that works and we give each food a couple months before we decide if it works. In the past, Opi had torn up his skin and lost the fur on his back from wiggling around on his back to scratch it so now we keep little shirts on him at all times and the fur is coming back in. We still go to the vets for steroid injections. I know the steroids aren't the best thing in the world but the vet had said we could take the dogs to a specialist for testing but he didn't hold out much hope that they'd find out what was causing the allergies. With each dog costing a couple thousand for testing, that (unfortunately) wasn't an option for us.
Parsley,
Terriers are especially prone to allergies and when Buster suffered with them occasionally, the vet put him on steroids.
I hope Molly's symptoms soon pass.
Your Friend,
Deborah
I wonder if a soothing shampoo would help? I fight every year with a fly allergy on my stallion, and this year we are adding apple cider vinegar to his feed.
I know they say honey helps people, especially locally grown. I wonder if it would help dogs?
Sam
We use benedryl as well. Also, like others have said, limit time outside and in the grass. My dog gets nasal drainage just like we do, but as it drains down the esophagus into the stomach, it causes irritation which then causes vomiting and diarrhea. Not fun! Sometimes she has to get a shot and additional medication to control it.
Hope Molly gets rid of the sore!
Hiya Molly - Charley here. Sorry about your foot - are you feeling better? Finn told me to give you a call. Hope we'll see ya around ;)
Post a Comment