Friday, September 7, 2012
Fair Results and Recipe
Well my friends, I got second place on my dessert, so no pink mixer. That's okay. I fed many 4H kids yesterday and they thought it was a winner! The recipe I made was for Apricot Almond Torte. Delish! I'll post the recipe below.
No pic of the ribbons but I got first place and a second place for two categories of cross stitch. I was pleased but the reality is there wasn't much competition. ;-)
My daughter is bringing home a first, second and fourth place ribbon for her entries using her graphic design skills.
We are still working hard at the fair. I got my cotton candy last night and plan on sitting down and eating it between stitching and sleeping on Saturday. Whew!
Apricot Almond Torte
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup ground almonds, toasted
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
FROSTING:
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
1 jar (10 to 12 ounces) apricot preserves
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
Directions
In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Combine the flour, almonds, baking powder and salt; gradually fold into egg mixture alternately with the whipped cream.
Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and salt until smooth. Beat in extract. Fold in whipped cream.
Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup frosting. Top with another cake layer; spread with half of the preserves. Repeat layers. Frost sides of cake; decorate the top edge with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with almonds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
21 comments:
Congratulations to both you and your daughter. Well done. I would have wanted the pink mixer too! ;)
Parsley, will you tell me if this comment shows up no-reply? I was told it was that way now. I checked my settings and unchecked the box and rechecked it. I cannot figure out why then. It is set correctly.
how nice for both of you. the cake looks so good.
It doesn't have an email to reply to, if that's what you mean. Also can't click your name to link to your blog. Hope you figure it out.
Congratulations to your daughter & yourself! That cake looks sooo yummmy!! I'd love a bit with my nice cup of tea ☺
Nice!
Congratulations!
High fives and a Congratulation shout out to your daughter on her ribbons too!
Slaps self in head because I never sent you a recipe...waaaaahhhh! I am so sorry, but I can see that you were brilliant, as always ;)
Hugs
Ma
Yipppee for you and your daughter.
How wonderful. Your dessert looks heavenly.
Hope you have a relaxing cotton candy stitching Saturday!
Joy
Trace
www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com
Congratulations to you and your daughter!!
The dessert looks so good!!
Well, second place is very good. I would have voted for your cake multiple times if I could. I would love to have a mixer too! :)
Congratulations to both of you....
congratulations to both of you xxx
Well done both of you. The cake looks well yummy. Have a fabulous Friday.
Best wishes Molly
Looks delicious :p
First of all parsly if i was the judge you would have won that pink mixer...do you think you could just buy a can of pink spray paint and paint your old mixer? Thats what mom does around our house..
Second, when I showed mom that recipe her eyes glazed over, only as a robot does, and she couldn't comprehend the recipe...could you just make us one and send it to us by ups truck? Enjoy your cotten candy!!
stella rose
What a delectable looking cake!! Thanks for sharing the recipe and congratulations on your ribbons :)
I agree congrats to both you and your daughter - I think you did GREAT!
Your little Melody looks like my Disco - what mix is she?
You did a great job with baking and I think your cake looks just fabolous !!
And I can imagineit tasted very,very good !
Justin Beaver was totally loved ..
You should she my kittyes toy mices - no tails ,no ears ,no eays!
Poor litle things ! :D
Sounds like you and your daughter are taking the 4-H fair by storm and winning all the ribbons!!!
Parsley,
Congrats to you and your daughter! Considering the fact (by your own admission) you don't bake much yet prepared such a beautiful torte and took second place, is an achievement you should be proud of! Plus your stitching skills placed first and second! If I lived closer, I'd be over for a slice of that delicious treat!
Your Friend,
Deborah
FairfieldHouseNJ.com
Congrats, sounds delicious.
It does look delicious! Sorry you didn't win the mixer however congrats to both you and your daughter for bringing home some ribbons.
I came across a pattern I thought you might be interested in. I'm not sure if you have heard about this or not. Check out the story from the designer. This pattern was released this past weekend at TNNA trade show in Baltimore.
http://inkcircles.blogspot.com/2012/08/little-alien-schoolgirl.html
Your family is so hard working and your dessert looks divine! Congrats to both of you on your wins! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Post a Comment